If you’ve been living under a rock for the last half century, you might be new to this concept. “Zines” are those amateurish mini magazines that we all made as kids that usually had a distribution limited to parents, siblings, and a few “bestest” friends. I remember my sisters and I publishing a few eons ago, and I never really thought I’d do that again until last July. I was teaching the kids’ class here at Alhambra Church of Christ. Some lessons were designed to reinforce the “Fruit of the Spirit” theme (from Galatians 5:22-23) that they had in Vacation Bible School (VBS). With some randomly assigned ClipArt and an industrial sized stapler, I became publisher once again. Introducing The Fruit of the Spirit ’Zine!
This is what the page layout looks like:
- Title Page (with space for name) – Right (Front)
- Fruit of the Spirit Verse (Galatians 5:22-23) – Left
- Fruit of the Spirit Tree – Right
- Love: Apple (Matthew 22:37-39) – Left
- Joy: Pineapple (John 16:24) – Right
- Peace: Peach (Psalms 34:14) – Left
- Patience: Avocado (Proverbs 25:15) – Right
- Kindness: Cherries (Proverbs 21:21) – Left
- Goodness: Banana (Romans 15:14) – Right
- Faithfulness: Limon (Proverbs 3:3-4) – Left
- Gentleness: Grape Bunch (1 Peter 3:15) – Right
- Self-Control: Pear (1 Corinthians 9:25) – Left (Back)
This year I taught a special “Great Women of the Bible” series, but didn’t have time to make another zine. Maybe later when I have some free time. (Ha-ha!) In the meantime, readers, I hope you enjoy my zine and share this craft idea with your kiddos. And Happy Independence Day!