Friday, July 18, 2014

Q&A: Discrimination Against E-Books

Manuscript by  Seth Sawyers (Flickr)
Señora Estrada,
Why did you refuse to review my ebook?


Dear Reader,
Please don’t think I’m singling you out. I refuse all requests to review ebooks. While I’m not against the concept in theory, in practice they’ve proven to be a waste of my time. For sure, many regular books – regardless of publishing format – aren’t worth reading. But authors put a lot more effort into their content, so there’s a far greater likelihood of a traditional book having some quality. In contrast, ebooks are usually just glorified blog posts, and I resent the sensational marketing and the astronomical prices. Put some real effort into your work, and write a real book. Note: I do read book manuscripts, so you may send me those.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting observation. I've never considered this difference. My books are in both print form and ebook. I've spent many years making them as good as possible. But I understand what you mean about the quality of some ebooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Francene: Thanks for your comment. What I meant to say was that I'm not against ebooks that truly are just books in an electronic format. I'm happy to read those, and I'd be willing to review them too. However, all of the ebooks I've purchased and those have been asked to review have been a few pages, poorly written, and filled with little content. The conversation that inspired this blog post was actually over a glorified PowerPoint presentation. I'm glad you're more attentive to the quality of your ebooks, and how that generally there's an improvement in that format as bad ones are weeded out.

      Delete

I would love to read your comments, but please refrain from offensive language. Thank you.